The Museum of Beaux Arts
- 40, place Saint Corentin
- 29000 Quimper
- Telephone : (33) 98 95 45 20
The history of the Museum of Beaux Arts starts in 1864, when Jean-Marie de Silguy decided to bequeath his very
beautiful collection of paintings and drawings to the city of Quimper, with the only condition for the city to build a museum
to put it. The city agreed and the museum inaugurated in 1872. It is since one of the most interesting and famous museum
The museum of Beaux Arts has been remodelled in 1989 by the architect Jean-Paul Philippon. The architectural project is
not only an extension, it completely restructured the old museum, without modifying the Bigot facade which is on the side
of Saint Corentin Square.
In spite of the limited size of the city of Quimper, its museum of Beaux Arts is renowned for the quality and the interest of
its collections. One may find :
- a remarkable set of Nordic paintings (Flemish, Dutch), a few masterpieces from Rubens, DeGruber.
- an interesting sequence of italian paintings
- a vast panorama of the French school of the XVIIth century to the XIXth century. In a wealthy and consistent set , one
may remark Boucher and Fragonard, Chassériau, Corot and Boudin.
- the breton painting from XIX/XXth centuries, it is one of the speciality of the collection from Quimper. Then
numerous painters come in Brittany have been captivated by the animated skies, the tempest , the see, pardons and the
In spite of the absence of Gauguin, l'Ecole de Pont Aven is brilliantly represented by Sérusier, Emile
Bernard, Maxime Maufra, Filiger, Moret.
- the innovative painters of Brittany: must be mentioned Cottet, Simon LeMordant, Maturin Méheut.
- the modern creation: is also present with Bazaine, Manessier, Tal Coat, Dilasser. A room is consecrated to the
poet from Quimper Max Jacob and to his friends(Picasso, Cocteau, Pierre de
- the decoration from the hôtel de l'Epée realised by Jean-Julien Le Mordant in 1905-1907. It is
represented in its whole and following the original disposition in one of the room from the museum 's extension.